• Disclosure
  • Privacy Policy
  • DMCA Policy
  • CCPA
  • Medical Disclaimer
  • Contact
  • About
Tuesday, May 24, 2022
Alaska Digital News
  • Home
  • US
  • Business
  • World
  • Anchorage
  • Juneau
  • Fairbanks
  • Badger
  • Knick-Fairview
  • College
  • Press Releases
  • Videos
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • US
  • Business
  • World
  • Anchorage
  • Juneau
  • Fairbanks
  • Badger
  • Knick-Fairview
  • College
  • Press Releases
  • Videos
No Result
View All Result
No Result
View All Result
Home World

Chinese City Bans ‘Negative’ Posts About Brutal Coronavirus Lockdown

by NewsReporter
January 6, 2022
in World
Reading Time: 3 mins read
chinese-city-bans-‘negative’-posts-about-brutal-coronavirus-lockdown
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Officials in the northern Chinese city of Xi’an on Tuesday banned “negative news” on social media about the city’s strict coronavirus lockdown, which has millions of residents on the verge of starvation and has killed at least two people.

The municipal government menacingly reminded its desperate citizens they are under constant electronic surveillance.

Xi’an’s population of about 13 million has been under strict lockdown since a cluster of coronavirus cases was detected two weeks ago.

As always, Chinese Communist claims of coronavirus case numbers and fatalities should never be taken at face value, but local officials say this horrific lockdown – complete with a bizarre theatrical chemical disinfection of the entire city – was imposed because of 143 infections. The most recent update counted 1,600 cases in the city, but insisted there have been no fatalities.

City residents reported severe shortages of food and supplies as the lockdown wore on, posting on social media that they were forbidden to leave their homes even for groceries. Complaints turned to pleas for help – and then accusations that city officials did not make adequate preparations for the lockdown, more manpower was devoted to policing the population than feeding them, and Communist Party officials appeared to be enjoying shipments of food while the public was left to starve.

This growing unrest exploded into outrage, both in Xi’an and across China, when two deaths were reported on social media: a baby who died in a miscarriage after the mother was denied hospital care pending the results of a coronavirus test, and an older man who died of a heart attack while his frantic daughter raced from one medical facility to the next, pleading with doctors to save him.

“I kept thinking, if I had been more uncooperative, screaming and crying to make a scene, would the hospital have admitted my father? But there’s no ‘if’. One month after my father turned 61, I lost him forever,” the grieving daughter wrote in a Wednesday post on Weibo, China’s version of banned Twitter.

After these outrageous stories went viral, Xi’an officials leaped into action – by silencing their captive citizens and threatening punishment if any more “negative” stories escape into social media.

“From Jan. 4, people are banned from posting details of the pandemic restrictions or information about the road situation, videos, links, mini-apps or photos of the situation, particularly negative news,” the municipal government said in a text message to all 13 million inhabitants.

“There is background surveillance operating on all WeChat groups, and any negative news will be deleted as soon as it is sent. Please bear this in mind and pass the message on,” the message added ominously.

Xi’an residents told Radio Free Asia (RFA) on Wednesday the incident with the man dying of a heart attack rattled the local government badly enough to bring down the iron curtain. Officials were already nervous about growing unrest over food shortages and public backlash against some ham-fisted efforts to stage Communist Party photo ops, such as a goon squad handing out tiny handfuls of food to residents while instructing them to look into the cameras with big smiles and thank the benevolent government for feeding them. 

“It’s pretty clear now what the government is doing. Now, if people are hungry, they’re not allowed to say so,” said one disgusted woman. “This isn’t a place fit for humans to live, where they won’t even let sick people seek medical treatment, or give birth — that’s how they treat people in a pandemic.”

Read More Here

Related Posts

un:-ukraine-war-threatens-to-devastate-many-poor-nations

UN: Ukraine War Threatens To Devastate Many Poor Nations

by NewsReporter
April 14, 2022
0

UNITED NATIONS (AP) — Russia’s war on Ukraine threatens to devastate the economies of many developing countries that are now facing even higher food and energy costs and increasingly difficult financial conditions, a U.N. task force warned Wednesday.U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres released the report saying that the war is “supercharging”...

zelensky-offers-to-swap-putin-ally-for-war-prisoners-–-follow-live

Zelensky Offers To Swap Putin Ally For War Prisoners – Follow Live

by NewsReporter
April 13, 2022
0

NewsWorldEuropePutin’s ally Viktor Medvedchuk was captured by Ukraine weeks after he escaped house arrest Inside the Mariupol theatre where hundreds were killed by Russian shellingJoe Biden has accused Russia’s president Vladimir Putin of committing a “genocide” in Ukraine.The US president on Tuesday was speaking in Iowa, where he declared that...

ex-president-faces-gop-backlash-after-endorsing-dr-oz-–-follow-live

Ex-President Faces GOP Backlash After Endorsing Dr Oz – Follow Live

by NewsReporter
April 12, 2022
0

Mitch McConnell explains why he will still support Donald Trump Former president Donald Trump has endorsed Dr Mehmet Oz to represent Pennsylvania in the US Senate. “I have known Dr. Oz for many years, as have many others, even if only through his very successful television show,” Mr Trump said...

china-closes-guangzhou-to-most-arrivals-as-outbreak-spreads

China Closes Guangzhou To Most Arrivals As Outbreak Spreads

by NewsReporter
April 11, 2022
0

BEIJING (AP) — The manufacturing hub of Guangzhou closed itself to most arrivals Monday as China battles a major COVID-19 surge in its big eastern cities. Shanghai has taken the brunt of the surge, with another 26,087 cases announced on Monday, only 914 of which showed symptoms. The city of...

Alaska Digital News

© 2021 Alaska Digital News

Navigate Site

  • Disclosure
  • Privacy Policy
  • DMCA Policy
  • CCPA
  • Medical Disclaimer
  • Contact
  • About

Follow Us

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • About
  • DMCA Policy
  • Medical Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclosure
  • CCPA
  • Terms of Use

© 2021 Alaska Digital News

We use cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits. By clicking “Accept All”, you consent to the use of ALL the cookies. However, you may visit "Cookie Settings" to provide a controlled consent.
Cookie SettingsAccept All
Manage consent

Privacy Overview

This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. Out of these, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. But opting out of some of these cookies may affect your browsing experience.
Necessary
Always Enabled
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. These cookies ensure basic functionalities and security features of the website, anonymously.
CookieDurationDescription
cookielawinfo-checkbox-analytics11 monthsThis cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics".
cookielawinfo-checkbox-functional11 monthsThe cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional".
cookielawinfo-checkbox-necessary11 monthsThis cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Necessary".
cookielawinfo-checkbox-others11 monthsThis cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Other.
cookielawinfo-checkbox-performance11 monthsThis cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Performance".
viewed_cookie_policy11 monthsThe cookie is set by the GDPR Cookie Consent plugin and is used to store whether or not user has consented to the use of cookies. It does not store any personal data.
Functional
Functional cookies help to perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collect feedbacks, and other third-party features.
Performance
Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.
Analytics
Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.
Advertisement
Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with relevant ads and marketing campaigns. These cookies track visitors across websites and collect information to provide customized ads.
Others
Other uncategorized cookies are those that are being analyzed and have not been classified into a category as yet.
SAVE & ACCEPT